Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A very big project

Hello friends. It's been a long time between blog posts because I've been awfully busy with a very large project. The House.
We own a very old house, pre-1900. It has many of the flaws of old houses, it is small, poorly insulated, and the layout is odd. However, it is full of character, it's quirky, it's in a great location that is sunny and close to town, and we have the most lovely neighbours a person could wish for. For a long time, it's needed work. I don't mean "needs work" like "oh the kitchen just wasn't my colours", I mean "needs work" like "the wiring was dangerous and illegal and there was scrim on the walls which is a terrible fire hazard and the lack of insulation made it cold, even though we paid a lot for heating." Really, it needed work. This kind of work:

Anyway, when we packed our stuff to move out and let the builders in I packed all of my craft things away, except for one small knitting project which has not had a single stitch added to it in weeks. My fingers are too exhausted from writing cheques. I'll show it to you when it's all done. The house, and the knitting project.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. Wow - am struggling to even picture which room I'm looking at, all naked like that! You'll be so pleased once it's all done, hope your poor fingers get a rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the remnants of the tiny bunkroom would you believe! It's going to be the new office.

      Delete
  2. Your sense of humour is great! "My fingers are too exhausted from writing cheques."
    Best of luck with the renos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, luck is good with renovations, and so far we haven't been too unlucky (which is saying something for a 1880 house with crap wiring).

      Delete
  3. oh wow - they've moved in to the kitchen - all's looking on track then!

    I take it you are back in time for the *concert* rehearsals. Hope the skirts went down well, or did someone look at the hems and say, "didn't take you too long, then."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the skirts were well received and now I can relax knowing I've done my share, yippee! (And thank you for all your expertise- there would have been tears if you hadn't have helped me.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the sense of space and light is great. The secret gift is on its way, so secret I have forgotton to tell the others I've done it, working on cards but they will miss the big day. Oops, sent to usual address but hopefully your neighbour will intercept and take care of parcel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is an omg 'needs work' hope its all going to plan.I see a Tui billboard
    Its only money!!! yeah right...
    but in all honesty you will love it and not think exact $ when you are enjoying the benefits.
    enjoy

    ReplyDelete