Thursday, July 4, 2013

A wee quick project that rekindled my fondness for craft

Hello friends,
Sometimes I forget how incredibly satisfying it is to think of a project, gather the things you need, and do it straight away. I think many people might identify with this, since I'm sure I'm not the only one that conceives of a project without the things I need to do it, or purchases fabric without any particular project in mind.
Now I have to confess that it wasn't actually me who conceived of a project and completed it immediately. No, no, no, I am still procrastinatory, disorganized, a bit dreamy at times, and slow, as usual. It was my daughter. Towards the end of last week, she presented me with one of her craft books, the page for a simple pencil case book-marked, and asked me to get the things she needed to make it happen, tout de suite! (She didn't actually say "tout de suite" but I like that phrase very much).
 The book was this one, The Crafty Kid (Kelly Doust), which has some pretty cool projects. They are simple and achievable for a small person. There are some fun ideas, and the styling is very nice. Beautiful pictures are quite a good motivation to make something, in my experience.
I bought some cool waterproof fabric and a zip. 
We cut out the pieces.
I put in the zip.
She did the rest.
Et voila...
Altogether, the project took about 40 min (and that included getting out the sewing machine, and putting it away again afterwards). 
I resolved that craft will be back on the menu as something fun to do for myself, as well. Over the last year we have been so consumed with doing other things, mainly to the "character" house (read "character" as an old needy money-pit) that craft fell off the wagon. Well the craft monster has been unleashed. Soon my new-old house will be full of (maybe nice, maybe fugly) things I've made. Hooray! 
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. Awesome - bring on the monster. Crafty yes but fugly never! I'm looking forward to seeing more pics of the money pit/house too.
    I'm dabbling with zippered pouches at the moment too. I made one for a gift and the kids looked at me with horror when I asked them to unwrap it so I could take a photo - needless to say it didn't happen. next time I will have to be quicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Amy, what lovely optimism you have. Many a fugly thing has been constructed in this house, but hopefully fewer as my taste improves with age. Can't wait to see your zippered pouches!

      Delete
  2. hooray- happy crafting! love the pencil case sylvie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! We were thinking of trying some rubber stamp printing as one of our next projects- courtesy of the lovely inspiration on your blog.

      Delete
  3. We are out of broadband so am still waiting for hte photos to load. Can only guess how it might look...B is out the back working on hte dishwasher. This house revolves around the kitchen and hte kitchen doesn't work without hte dishwasher.
    ooh here it is, it's lovely, well done to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shudder at the thought of a non-operational dishwasher...oh dear.

      Delete
  4. Well done you and Sylvie for making it tout de suite. All of the rest, so to speak.

    But it's so long since we had our last transliteration party that I fear you may not even get the joke. What damage. Oh, the the.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola I will always get those jokes, no matter how long it is since we last had a "head to head" amusing ourselves with favourite pass time. Sacred blue, it has been a long time though, hey?

      Delete
  5. I think the Kelly Doust books in the library actually belong to me - I have them out so often that i'm expecting a call from a librarian any day to say we're sick of babysitting your books, come and take them home forever. I wish.
    So what other cool holiday makes are you and Sylvie up to? I've been sewing baby stuff... our science teacher is pregnant, perfect excuse to buy Melissa's book! I turned my classroom into a sweatshop and the Year 8s have been churning out Melissa's baby pants just as fast as they could steal their Dads' tee shirts from home!

    ReplyDelete