Monday, August 19, 2013

Joe and Cornelius, and parental obligations

Hello friends,
Last post I rashly asserted how much I enjoy making things. Well, my advice to you is to be careful making such rash statements, because no sooner was the virtual ink dry after writing that did I get conscripted into making costumes for a show my daughter was involved in. But Hark, I protest too much, I actually rather enjoyed this voluntary role, especially when I compare it with other things I've done in a voluntary capacity as a parent. The costumes were hilarious, over-the-top, deliciously camp, and sparkley. I'd show them to you but such was urgency for them that they were whisked straight from my sewing machine onto the backs of the perfomers. Instead, I'll show you the lovely thank-you letter I got!
I was tickled magenta to recieve that, I really was.

The short time frame to complete those relatively large sewing projects was actually very good for me. It made me wonder why I don't do things for my children or myself unless a fire is lit underneath me. So, as soon as the sewing machine was packed away, I resumed work on a project that had been dead on the needles for more than a year: Joe and Cornelius.

These charming knitted friends are from More Knitwits (Katie Boyette). I had this book out from the library an age ago and we all fell over ourselves chuckling at the great characters. The kids instantly ordered some up for themselves, and I began knitting with gusto but then got sidetracked with house renovations. Somehow my brain could not accommodate circular knitting while my fingers were occupied with writing cheques.

Anyway, I loved seeing these guys all knitted up, I loved how my big 10-year-old boy was as delighted as a 3-year-old to finally have them, and how they now live on his bed. I might even rashly commit to knitting some more of the characters out of that book, there are so many cool ones.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. What a great shark - lucky Harry - and what a nice thank you note from the Peter Pan production staff.

    There is something very special about knitted toys. Also knitted tea sets, flowers, nativity sets, cupcakes and well, knitted royalia. I hope George gets a whole knitted book made up in his honour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember your proclivities for knitted toys in forthcoming birthdays. I'm sure I could knit ya a gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy free slice of birthday cake!

      Delete
  2. that note of appreciation is pure gold. Love the knitted shark too. Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? That letter was amazing! I don't think anything else I've ever made, like ever, has been called magnificent.

      Delete
  3. Save that letter, it's a keeper!
    Awww for Joe and Cornelius! Super cute!
    I love your sense of humour! It is hard to do anything else while writing checks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm still recovering from all the cheque-writing. It's taking some serious occupational therapy to get these fingers rehabilitated!

      Delete
  4. Very Sweet fish & shark. Oh to be magnificent!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'll keep that letter in case anyone needs me to prove that I sewed something magnificent, because that might happen you know!

      Delete
  5. Jen that shark is hte funniest thing and he's smiling. Perhaps he's the one that bit off Hook's hand, without damaging his magnificent jacket I'm sure. I too have had a thank you letter this week, and 2 emails and it blew me away how thrilling it is to get them. I printed the emails off and made the boys read them and the letter, and then prompted them for hte correct response, 'you might want to say, well done or something like that' which they dutifully cranked out. That letter needs to go in a special place, a shoebox of momentos that can be pulled out on a grey afternoon adn reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, yes the shark really is a bit of a laugh, I couldn't see how he was all going to go together to start with, a matter of just continuing to knit while having faith in the finished article.

      Delete
  6. Magnificent! That's an adjective you don't hear very often. In fact I am fairly confident that it will never ever be used in relation to my sewing skills. Well done you!

    Joe and Cornelius make me want to knit again. Although the kittens have now discovered my knitting stash and they are having a great time making massive spiderwebs out of balls of wool. And they refuse to clean up the mess.

    Tickled magenta! You are a funny funny girl Miss Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Somehow my brain could not accommodate circular knitting while my fingers were occupied with writing cheques.."

    you are brilliant. really.

    ReplyDelete