Saturday, September 14, 2013

Thoughts on the knitting continuum

In my mind, there is a knitting continuum. At one end, there are essential and very practical things like warm woollen jerseys and hats, socks, mittens, and scarves: things that would keep you alive in a snowstorm along with a home-made cheese and pickle sandwich and a thermos of tea. At the other end are fun, frivolous things like, knitted sharks, goldfish, wombles, sandwiches, and so forth: things that would entertain you on a sunny day when times are good and life is simple. In the middle are the items that are somewhat practical but that also have a fun a frivolous edge to them. This category includes tea cosies and "tv slippers".
 I definite have leanings towards the frivolous end of the knitting spectrum. I would rather knit a sandwich than a jersey, and I would rather buy socks than knit them. However, when my daughter asked me to knit her a pair of tv slippers there was just enough silliness in them for me to say "Yes, of course". Also, I owed her a knitting project after just having knitted something for her brother. (I am from a family of eight children, and hence, I am very aware that I must be careful to be "fair").
Are "tv" slippers a New Zealand phenomenon? I have no idea but it wouldn't surprise me if they were. There are patterns for them in almost every junk shop I frequent, and several on Ravelry of course. This was the pattern I thought I'd follow, since it looked easy and had lots of sizes (click to enlarge, if required):
 In the end I followed a pattern on Ravelry, because it required two strands to be knitted together (= super quick). Quick! Good lord they were so quick. Two nights of tv watching, and they were all done. (Hey, maybe this is why they are called "tv slippers"?). Sylvie made the pompoms to finish them off in very styley fashion.
In terms of knitting enjoyment, this project was a 5/10. The yarn was some supersoft synthetic thing that squeaked as I knitted it, and my 4 mm needles are horrible plastic things that have blunt ends and split the wool if you don't pay attention. Yick. However, in terms of satisfaction, they're a 9/10. She likes them and wears them all the time.  And, they look really cute, in a kind of silly and fun way. I like to think that they might save her life in a snow storm.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. New to your site here, and am enjoying it immensely. I have my sweetheart jelly (strawberry and raspberry) chilling in the fridge for the pink lamington recipe that brought me to your blog. I made the cake recipe and was concerned that I didn't covert the measurements properly, but a quick bite from the corner of the pan assured me all was well. I took your advice and froze the cake ahead of time, and am finishing it today. In the true spirit of that post, my girls and I are including the lamingtons for a special Princess Teddy Bear birthday party. And so then the slippers post pops up, and they are really cute, don't think I have ever heard of TV slippers, maybe I'll dig out my needles and give them a try :) Thanks and have a nice day. -- from Maryland USA and I am embarrassed to admit I only just discovered lamingtons (from a craft book called Meet Me at Mike's), your recipe included a cake as I like to make mostly from scratch. I think they will be a new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and how thrilling to be in the midst of your first lamington experience. Well I hope they go down a treat and really do become a firm favourite. I recently made some with blueberry jelly and the kids thought they looked "poisonous, but delicious", so there you go.

      Delete
  2. OMG Miss Smith! I love your sense of humour so much. I would ask to be an honorary member of your family but I wouldn't be able to keep up.

    I haven't heard of "tv slippers" before but just regular "slippers". They look very cute and I love Sylvie's contribution. :)

    Say hello to Mary Nanna for me! I miss her blog and her creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle, you leave the sweetest comments! Your new dress looks fab by the way and I would have voted against the buttons, but they look fantastic, which just goes to show how limited my sewing vision can be.
      I will certainly say Hello to Mary Anna for you, although she still visits here so she will read it herself sooner or later!

      Delete
  3. that is, included a cake recipe, as they all have cake but usually just include "store bought" for that part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They might have different names in other places. We saw racks of them in doorways while travelling around Norway. I can recall from school C Japanese that the Japanese get every excitable about different slippers for different parts of a house i.e. do no wear the toilet slippers into the lounge etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I would so, so, so dearly love to see a pattern for "toilet slippers".

      Delete
  5. The slipper possibilities suddenly seem endless. Imagine velcro soles so the kids could clean the floor as they walked... I can also imagine a few accidental down sides to that one. I still favour the zip up boot for arch support and ankle warmth. Johnny has a pair. M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah slippers, I inherited a pattern for the ugliest slippers known to man from my partners mother. 4 strands of acrylic and nothing will ever destroy those bad boys. She called them wooly flippets.
    I have to find you on ravelry, anyone who knits sandwiches is my kind of people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My proudest knitting moments have been when finishing utterly useless, but too-cut-for-words items - like a whole selection of miniature knitted cakes and biscuits for my nieces, and teeny tiny hats for egg cosies, and a little kitten which doubled as a mobile phone holder. The last one was particularly useless as, once the phone was held in there by a button, there was no way on earth you could get it out in time to answer it when it rang. Still, people went crazy about them, and even paid me to make them for them. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I meant too-CUTE-for words of course!

      Delete